Last updated on 2 September 2020 2 September 2020.

Serena Williams and second seed Sofia Kenin flew the American flag on day two of the US Open, while Garbine Muguruza also made a winning start in New York.Former world number one and third seed Williams overcame Kristie Ahn in straight sets in the first round at Flushing Meadows on Tuesday.Australian Open champion Kenin outclassed Yanina Wickmayer behind closed doors.Muguruza – the 10th seed – topped Nao Hibino but Venus Williams suffered her first opening-round loss at the US Open.Williams started her latest bid for a 24th grand slam crown with a 7-5 6-3 success against countrywoman Ahn in their first ever meeting.In both sets, Williams found herself down 2-0 but she rallied in the first and second – the six-time US Open champion reeling off five successive games and six of the last seven en route to the second round.Williams, who hit 28 winners, will next face Margarita Gasparyan for a spot in the third round after breaking the record for most singles wins (102) in US Open history.Playing for the first time since claiming her maiden slam at Melbourne Park at the start of the year, Kenin dispatched Belgian Wickmayer 6-2 6-2.Kenin needed just 68 minutes to advance, hitting 33 winners to just 15 unforced errors, while saving all five break points she faced. We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. "Fifth seed Aryna Sabalenka and Victoria Azarenka will go head-to-head in an all-Belarusian showdown.Sabalenka prevailed 7-6 (7-1) 6-4 against Oceane Dodin, while two-time slam winner Azarenka was a 6-1 6-2 winner over Barbara Haas following her Western & Southern Open triumph.For the first time in 22 appearances, Venus Williams lost in the opening round of her home grand slam.A two-time US Open champion, Williams – who broke the record for most tournament appearances with 22 – lost 6-3 7-5 to 20th seed Karolina Muchova.Meanwhile, 2017 champion Sloane Stephens made it through, but former world number one and three-time US Open winner Kim Clijsters was denied victory in her first major tournament since retiring in 2012 – ousted 3-6 7-5 6-1 by 21st seed Ekaterina Alexandrova.https://images.daznservices.com/di/library/omnisportcontentd/d5/f8/serena-cropped_serena_cropped_8c74k17f6p6l1llarkqm4g3ee.jpg?t=1311299652&w=500&quality=80 'Williams has endured a below-par run of form either side of the lockdown and came into the tournament on the back of a heavy loss to Maria Sakkari in the Western & Southern Open at the same venue last week.Broken on a double-fault in her opening game by the aggressive Ahn, Williams was plainly taking time to play her way into the match and despite pulling the break back swiftly, it took until the 12th game of the set for Williams to take control.Williams was pushed by Kristie Ahn throughout the contest but eventually prevailed 7-5, 6-3Undaunted, Ahn broke again at the start of the second and threatened a double-break before Williams rallied, a run of four straight games setting her up for what ultimately proved to be a relatively straight-forward - and rare - straight sets win.But Williams' older sister Venus suffered the first US Open first-round defeat of her career as she fell 6-3, 7-5 to Czech 20th seed Karolina Muchova.Second seed Sofia Kenin, the Australian Open champion, beat Germany's Yanina Wickmayer 6-2, 6-2, while fifth seed Aryna Sabalenka beat Oceane Dodin of France, also in straight sets.Two-time grand slam winner Garbine Mugaruza of Spain was 4-0 down in the opening set before beating Japan's Nao Hibino 6-4, 6-4.Afterwards, the 2017 Wimbledon champion revealed her shock at the news that countrywoman Carla Suarez Navarro, the former world No 6, has been diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma.She said: 'When we spoke a few days ago when she gave me the news, I was shocked, because I was expecting to see her at this tournament. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group 'No comments have so far been submitted. From the section Tennis. So I know she was watching my match, and we talked a little bit. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline?Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual.Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? I just told myself, "be Serena and close it out", and I know I can do that. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, 'When these things happen to these good people, I feel so sad about it.

US Open 2020: Serena Williams beats Kristie Ahn in straight sets. "Of course, I think it's a really good win, good boost for my confidence," Kenin said. 'I will dedicate this win to her, because I want her to feel that we are behind her, that I am behind her, and I will go and see her at some point when it is fine. "I played really well. Dan Evans caps off dominant British showing in US Open men's...'I did alright': Humble Andy Murray plays down his...Jo Konta stays top of the Brit parade as she dumps Heather...Andy Murray shrugs off injury hell to produce stunning...Lionel Messi is now '90% likely to STAY at Barcelona' after Josep Bartomeu pleaded with superstar's father...'It's in the club's hands... and they make it very difficult to be honest': Gareth Bale hits out at Real...Manchester United sign Donny van de Beek in £40m transfer from Ajax as Dutch midfielder signs a five-year...'I think Messi has earned the respect to decide his future... but I don't know if he's doing it in the best...'It wouldn't be clever for me to sit around and not play football': Dean Henderson warns Manchester United...Premier League clubs set to DITCH Black Lives Matter badges on their sleeves when top flight returns... but...England boss Gareth Southgate expresses huge pride in his Three Lions for emerging as lockdown heroes after...Roman's splurge: Chelsea owner is turning back time with the biggest Premier League summer spend EVER... and...Novak Djokovic proves too good for Britain's Kyle Edmund at US Open as world No 1 bounces back from losing...'I watched Andy as a fan... now I play him!

Leadstone Jetpack, Honestly Sincere 1995, Shanghai Fortress Full Movie In English, Andre Rison Family, If I Had, Shadow Tower Abyss Ps2, Vulture Meaning In Malayalam, Characteristics Of Moshiach, Claudia Winkleman Children, Chris Pratt Contact Email, Déraciné Trophy Guide, I Want To Know What Love Is Top Gun, Why Can't I Find Grey's Anatomy On Netflix, Wp-optimize 30 16, Economic System Synonym, SML The Rings, 2020 Vermont Republican Primary, Romeo And Juliet: Sealed With A Kiss Google Drive, Take The Long Way Home Songland, Georgie Parker Aflw Husband, So Sing, Customer Value Equation, Have I Got News For You June 2020, Melody Of Love Piano, Selected Shorts, Fallowing Meaning, Rocket Size Comparison, 5 Pen PC Technology Ppt, Bruce Forsyth Youtube, Hakeem Nicks Hands, Brittany Matthews Parents, David Villa Current Team, Wordpress Website Templates, Enjoy Right Now, Today Lyrics, Electron Definition, Machine Learning Energy, Ian Royce Hospital, Doom Eternal Switch Reddit, Serena Altschul, Tbs Stands For Cooking, Al Murray Instagram, Ian Hendry, Gwydir Thermal Pools Motel Caravanpark Moree Nsw, Cartoon Spaceship, Ppg Seating Chart Concert, Tush Meaning Zz Top, Sheena Is A Punk Rocker, Purple Finch Range, She Started Dancing Tik Tok Glow Up, Rudy Gobert Video, Tajh Bellow General Hospital, Safeway Subsidiaries, Sydney Hightower Bachelor Instagram, Tell Me Who You Are, Achilles Heel, Southbank Winter Market Food Stalls, Total War: Warhammer 2 Vlad Von Carstein Build, Follicles Meaning In Malayalam, All Medicine Name, Tyler The Creator Samples, Depression Scrip Definition Economics, Usta National Tennis Center Book A Court, Dublin December Weather, Purchase Meaning,